Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Commuters Arsenal #2

Possibly the most vital part of cycling (aside from a bicycle) is a helmet. They help to keep riders not dead. And, believe me, biking is a lot more fun when alive.

I wear a S-ONE skateboarding style helmet (which I got for free by being the Helmets in Hands "Rider of the Month").

Because it is mat-black it is incredibly difficult to see at night, so I put some reflective stickers on it.

Now, on of the biggest arguments I've heard against wearing a helmet, in the skateboaring scene and bike scene, is that helmets don't look good. And a lot of girls don't wear them because it (queue whiny girl voice) messes up their hair. Personally, I think people look a lot more attractive with sweaty helmet hair that they do attached to tubes in a hospital bed for the rest of their live or in a grave. A simple solution to dealing with helmet hair is a hat. Carry one with you and put it on when you get where you're going.

Another argument against helmets is the "I'm not going fast enough", or "I'm within my own limits, I won't fall". Well, you may not be going fast or outside you're limits, but cars might be. And a fall from 5ft can kill you if you fall just right. 

Bicycling is a leading cause of TBI

So wear a helmet, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment